2/18/2010

100 Favorite Songs: 41-45

Poppy rock.

41. “I Want You to Want Me” – Cheap Trick (1977)

Apparently it took a live album recorded in Japan for this song to become a big hit, but its addictiveness finally caught on in the States. And let's be honest, how many of us know it because of 10 Things I Hate About You? The TV show*?


How does the guitarist with the hat's outfit not look dated?


42. “Life in a Northern Town” – The Dream Academy (1985)

Hey! A song from the 80s! What can I say, I'm a sucker for vaguely tribal chant-singing. And apparently the oboe.


Who is the woman that introduces the band?


43. “Celebrate Me Home” – Kenny Loggins (1976)**

It really shouldn't shock anyone that I love cheesy pop music. Especially when it's blue-eyed soul. I must warn you that a lot of this performance is a sax attack of the late 80s/early 90s kind.

OMG scatting.


44. “If Only” – The Kooks (2006)

Much like Boston, The Kooks' songs all sound like variations of the same awesome piece of music. That's not a complaint so much as a nod to beautiful consistently. "If Only" as a 2 minute representation of this glorious trend.


So British.


45. “Killer Queen” – Queen (1974)

This song is so opera and so fun to sing.

To my sister: how do you feel about Freddie in this get-up?


Can you grope a microphone stand?


*Which it actually love, despite first impressions. Give it to episode 3.
**I think American Idol uses this song in their results episodes. I choose to ignore that that show exists, so this choice is totally legit.

2 comments:

  1. #41 yeah, I'll admit that
    #43 sax attack!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Freddie
    His icky hair is too distracting and his coat too puffy. However, I do approve of his lack of shirt underneath, because of the chest hair exposure.

    Dear celebrity men in 2010:
    Waxing your chest hair is weird and makes you look 12.
    Love,
    me

    ReplyDelete