2/22/2010

100 Favorite Songs: 46-50

More evidence that I really did just make this list off the top of my head: a double dose of Journey.

46. “There's a Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought of It Yet ” by Panic! At the Disco (2005)

Remember when this band was still happening? And how terrible that title has always been? But then the song is just really fun to sing along to? Also, the phrase "I'm the new cancer"? Awesome.

This was the least ridiculous performance I could find of this song. I'm giving you lower quality and Ryan encouraging jazz hands so you don't have to suffer Brendon dancing with skanky Victorian girls.


47. “You Never Give Me Your Money” by The Beatles (1969)

Such a gorgeous beginning with a weirdly vocalized middle (yeah, that's Paul) and ridiculous nursery rhyme end. And you know I can't resist vocal harmonies.


I'm a bigger fan of the latter portion of the Beatles' career. You?


48. “Wedding Bell Blues” by 5th Dimension (1969)

Originally a Laura Nyro song, the 5th Dimension had a big hit with this catchy song. Mostly, I just love Marilyn McCoo's voice.

Incidentally, the guy Marilyn's singing to is named Billy, and the two married in 1969.


49. “Lights” by Journey (1978)

I discovered my love of this song on a choir trip in high school to San Francisco (coincidence?). One of my roommates on the trip and I had a Journey dance party since the local classic rock radio station was no doubt having a Block Party Weekend. In other words, a great night.

Is Yevgeny Plushenko the reincarnation of Steve Perry? Discuss.


50. “Don’t Stop Believin'” by Journey (1981)

You'd think you could get sick of a song you've listened to hundreds of times, but "Don't Stop Believin'" never gets less powerful.

They sound great live despite the bassist's molester mustache.

1 comment:

  1. I think "Evgeni Plushenko" is actually just a character played by Steve Perry. He's really, REALLY committed to the performance.

    ReplyDelete