So I recently discovered hulu.com has the first two seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and now that I'm off my Bones addiction, I figured I could get into again. Little did I know that it's just as awesome as I remembered. But the one thing that stuck out the most is how much better this saga is than Twilight. In fact, episode 7 of season 1 "Angel" boils down the problems with a human dating a vampire into 44 easy minutes, not hundreds of grueling pages.
Besides time, other things about the Buffy/Angel love story is just better than Bella/Edward:
1. Actual personalities and non-obnoxious character traits. Buffy is witty and spunky; Bella is bland and codependant. Angel helps out Buffy only when necessary; Edward looms over Bella creepily.
2. Buffy can take care of herself for the most part and when Angel does help her, they both fight demons/vampires. Bella is lame and can't do anything but annoyingly beg to be a vampire.
3. Vampires in the Buffy world actually get injured and feel pain and presumably sleep. Vampires in the Twilight world are statues and everything about them is awesome except the feeding on people thing (see book 4). Um, way to create NO CONFLICT.
4. Buffy combines kitsch, myth, comedy, and drama all into one successful package. Twilight combines an interesting idea with boring characters, Tolkeinesque tangents, and superfulous repetition to create an unsatisfying package.
5. I'm too tired to list more ways. But seriously, just watch the "Angel" episode. Angel stays at Buffy's overnight without creepily watching her sleep the whole time like a creepy stalker face. Also, he reveals the truth without being lame and making her guess.
To wit, Buffy takes the sting out of reading all four of those terrible books. Joss Whedon is 2349 times more clever and interesting than Stephenie Meyer and her half-formed ideas that only tease at greatness (or at least not terribleness). So, count this as my super-obvious post forthe day and go watch Buffy.