4/11/2012

Live commentarying The Voice: 4/9/2012

Blah blah blah, I'm lazy and also without live TV because as a member of the millennial generation, I recognize it's inevitable death due to the internet. Also, I'm cheap. So, after a power nap after a long day of pretending to do something at my new job, I'm going to offer some commentary for a live show with voting that I'm not participating in.


Team Adam and Team Cee Lo are up this episode, so let's get it started.

1. Team Adam: Katrina Parker is up first singing "Tonight, Tonight" by The Smashing Pumpkins. Interesting, this works for me, probably because it's not a beyond nasally voice (sorry, Billy Corgan, I really do like your vocals). I really like her voice, it's pure and soulful, and slightly Adele-like without the sad-sack attitude.

2. Team Cee Lo: Cheesa is singing "Don't Leave Me This Way" by Thelma Houston. Great song choice. This isn't a life changing performance, but it's a lot of fun, and Chessa's voice meets the demands of the song managing to dance a little, too.

3. Team Adam: Adorable Tony Lucca is singing "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. Sexy. He adapts the melody to cut out most of the falsetto, which was probably a good idea given his vocal range. He sounds pretty great and kind of looks like Peter Gabriel. Also this is one of my all-time favorite songs (Adam and I are twinsies!). The only way to make it better would be more vaguely tribal dancers.

4. Team Adam: Kim Yarbrough "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele. I could do without hearing this song again for several years, however, Kim has a kickass voice and sounds pretty good. I also like that she amps up the anger factor of this song, although this song is too ubiquitous for me to care about.

5. Team Cee Lo: James Massone "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones. Adorable and interesting take on the song. This kids is so charming even if his voice isn't spectacular, although boy band-R&B fabulous. Honestly, this is probably my favorite performance of the night, although the soundmixing could do without miking all those girls screaming.

6. Team Cee Lo: Juliet Simms is up next singing "Roxanne" by the Police. Oh, so this is what the song sounds like when the singer can actually hit the notes (sorry, Sting). It sounds awesome, and I like the soul. Definitely another favorite. Team Cee Lo is owning this night.

7. Team Adam: Mathai is singing "Ordinary People" by John Legend. She's super cute, and manages to give enough soul to the performance to make it work. Maybe a little too smiley?

8. Team Cee Lo: Mr. Tony Vincent is next in a snappy suit singing "Everybody Want to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears. I always thought the real star of this song was the synthesizer. Again, I'm not a big fan of Tony's musical theater style of singing. He sounds better on the bridge when he manages to get gritty, albeit in the most Broadway way possible.

9. Team Adam: Darling Karla Davis is singing "Airplanes" by B.O.B. As long as she doesn't pronounce "stars" like "steeee-ars" than it's an improvement on the original song. I'm not sure this is the right song song for her voice. She's a little too airy and gentle for this song. I like her voice, but it doesn't fit this pop style until the end.

10. Team Cee Lo: the worst ever, Erin Martin, is next singing "Walk Like an Egyptian" by the Bangles. Erin can't even hit the low notes. This is such an amateur hour performance.

11. Team Adam: Pip is singing "When You Were Young" by the Killers. Blandy McBland song. There's a reason why this is one of the easiest songs on Rock Band. Awww, but he sounds good. I'm kind of in love with this kid. I find his attempts to be edgy to be cute, although ultimately unsuccessful.

12. Team Cee Lo: Last is Jamar Rogers singing "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz. Can someone please pull off a rock song today? He's doing well. He has a enough confidence and grit to sound good. One of the best of the night.

Did you guys watch this episode in a timely manner? Any favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment