4/12/2010

Everyone covers Dylan: "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"

Bob Dylan wrote "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" for the 1973 film Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid. I have never seen this movie, but seeing as how is stars James "Tex" Coburn, Kris "Beardily Hot" Kristofferson, and Bob "He's in Movies?" Dylan I don't know how I haven't. Apparently the 1988 director's re-edit of this film is awesome.

Anyway, "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" isn't my favorite Dylan song, but it's one I really enjoy the original of and it's pretty hard to screw up. I mean, even Avril Lavigne's cover isn't bad. Lucky for you, I chose to give you other options than Canada's little angry girl.

The original version of the song:




1. Eric Clapton sometimes feels a little reggae:


You know I chose this 1977 video mostly for Yvonne Elliman.



2. Here's a special rendition that only 80s metal could create that Australia's own Heaven rocked in 1985.


Are they in a canyon?


3. But you really can't beat GnR's classic 1992 rendition. Slash kills his solo.


Best backup singers ever?


4. Randy Crawford recorded her own version in 1989. Here's a soullicious 1993 live performance in Vienna.


SAX!


5. The Alarm, a Welsh band I've don't know much about, frequently performed the song live in the mid-80s.


If you don't do "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" as a power ballad, are you only left with a reggae beat?

No comments:

Post a Comment