10/19/2009

The Audacity of Rock: Part 31

Rock and the spoken word.

I'm a fan of random words inserted in songs. It's haunting and confusing all at once.


"Us and Them" by Pink Floyd (1973)

The spoken part is taken from an interview with a Pink Floyd roadie named Roger the Hat (according to the wikis). "I mean, they're not gonna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short, sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it? I mean he got off lightly, 'cause I would've given him a thrashing, I only hit him once. It was only a difference of opinion, but really, I mean good manners don't cost nothing do they, eh?" (4:55)

Also according to 'pedia, "The phrase 'short, sharp shock' is a phrase meaning 'punishment that is quick and severe.'" Which also might describe how you feel after being forced to repeat the phrase that appears in Gilbert and Sullivan's classic The Mikado in the song "I Am so Proud."
To sit in solemn silence in a dull, dark dock,
In a pestilential prison with a life-long lock
Awaiting the sensation of a short, sharp shock
From a cheap and chippy chopper on a big, black block.
You can hear it at minute 2:20 of the following clip:


You're welcome.


"Nantes" by Beirut (2007)



The speaking part in this song (2:12) is taken from the French film La Bete Humaine (1938). I thank awesome YouTube user peskasker for providing the clip, synopsis of the scene, and the translation. So here's the info:

"In this scene, the husband (Séverine Roubaud) is trying to caress his wife (Flore), but she has no intention of doing so."



Le French:
- "Oh non je t'en prie, nous ne sommes pas chez nous."
- "Oh je t'assures que ce n'est pas grave."
- "Non laisse moi!"
- "Mais qu'est-ce que tu as aujourd'hui?"
- "Je sais que les hommes me dégoutent. Vous ne pensez qu'à ça..."

English translation:
- "No, not here."
- "But I assure you, it doesn't matter."
- "No! Leave me!"
- "What's wrong with you?"
- "Men disgust me. You only think of that (sex). You're all the same..."

Consider yourself enlightened.


Questions:

1. Do these spoken words enhance your listening pleasure, or detract from it?
2. How awesome is the name Roger the Hat?

No comments:

Post a Comment