10/06/2009

The Audacity of Rock: Part 29

90s R&B never goes out of style.

It's nice to know that emo is carrying to torch of drum machines and synth. Wait, they're actually playing instruments? What follows is based around Push Play's "Midnight Romeo.

First, what the song reminds me of most:

"You Make Me Wanna" by Usher (1997)

Usher truly is the master of the tender strings and drum machine topped with too many syllables per line of music.


Also seen here.

To be more accurate in my comparison with a white boy band, let's use some whited out R&B.

"Quit Playing Games with My Heart" by the Backstreet Boys (1996)




So here's the song in question.

"Midnight Romeo" by Push Play (2009)

It's mostly the beginning of this song that sounds totally 90s R&B, but the lyrics throughout are basically the white boy version of the unabashed "I want to get in your pants" song.


Also seen here.

Wait a minute, is that banjo I hear in the chorus? Maybe not, but Push Play is also trying to use the phrase "Midnight Romeo." If that's not trying to be country, I don't know what it is.

But please, Push Play, don't even try to compete with country music for sexy.

"Hello Darlin" by Conway Twitty (1970)




Questions:

1. Usher makes me wanna to avoid middle school ice skating parties. What does he make you wanna do?
2. How much do you love this song?
"I'd Love to Lay You Down" by Conway Twitty (1980)


I know it's 80s country and cheesy, but you're kind of smiling, aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment