3/03/2009

Song of the day: Runaway

The other day somebody expressed their dislike of Janet Jackson, and I was trying to remember why I kind of like her. The reason I do: "Runaway" from Design of a Decade 1986/1996--except I had the cassette single*. It's vaguely ethnic in sound, and the music video is vaguely ethnic in dance and costume. I loved the harmony-heavy "yeahs" in the chorus and listened to this song over and over. Check it out:



No wonder I have such fond memories of Miss Jackson. Has she ever been so bubbly and adorable?

Side conversation: In a cage match of who does the best at incorporating globalization in a music video, who would win: Michael Jackson in "Black or White" or Janet Jackson in "Runaway"? Discuss.

*Thanks, sister! (I think it was a Christmas gift).

2 comments:

  1. Michael Jackson would win, for sure. If only because there are crazy people all over the world that will defend him to the death.
    BTW, this is Jenni Ball. I decided to pop on over here and tell you I'm trying to think of a new name for my blog, and Cheerful Cynicism keeps coming up, and I think "wow, that's a great name, where have I heard that before?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this song!!! Oh my goodness. Takes me back. haha

    ReplyDelete