5/10/2008

Neglecting my blogging

So I started custodial work a couple weeks ago, and I'm exhausted when I come home. So exhausted I have failed to write ridiculous things on this blog. But, I've had a good night's sleep, so I figured I'd write some highlights in pop culture from the last few weeks:

1. Iron Man is the perfect summer blockbuster. It made me laugh, it uses current politics, and is starring Robert Downey, Jr. The somewhat romance between Tony Stark (RD,J), rich weapons maker, and Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), his personal assistant, is sufficiently awkward and yet comforting. Also, a great montage featuring Downey interacting with machines Luke Skywalker/R2D2 style warms my heart a lot.


Question: Who looks better hot, sweaty and worn out: Iron Man or Aragorn? Discuss.

2. I bought the 1995 BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. It was $20 bucks for the DVDs plus a book on how they made it. I knew I was going to have to own this someday, and this was just so cheap I went for it. I read the book in a couple days and made me love the entire cast and crew that much more for creating such an awesome adaptation. The Keira Knightly version...well, I'll probably have to see it again, but it's pretty r
idiculous. I'll have to blog about that sometime.

3. I caught the movie Five last night in an allergy/benadryl induced stupor on TCM. Made in 1951, it was one of the first post-apocalyptic films ever made. This one featured a post atom-bombed world and 5 people who happen to find each other. 4 men and 1 pregnant woman survive. The film does a pretty good job of bringing out loneliness, desperation, and even racism in the film. One of the creepiest, but kind of awesome scenes was a day or two after the first two people meet each other, the man tries to convince to woman to have sex since they're the last two on earth until she screams, "I'm having Steven's baby!" This is her husband that she can't find. Anyway, it kind of rocks. Some things of note: a sleazy European man makes an appearance, all corpses are just skeletons with clothes on, and the token black man quotes scripture.


4.

I'll leave you with a photo of Aragorn. Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment