6/30/2009

The Audacity of Rock: Part 17

Do not put that in a more comfortable key.

I'm not sure what the appeal of listening to people strain to hit notes is, but it apparently never gets old for some people. And I'm not talking about gritty straining, but barely and weakly hitting high notes. I can usually handle it for a while, but I love good vocals, and listening singing too high is just annoying after a while.

"Life During Wartime" by Talking Heads (1979/1983)

Oh, David Byrne. I want to love you, but I have to be in the mood to handle your vocals. Seriously. Here's "Life During Wartime" from Stop Making Sense live in all its out of range glory. Also, dancing.




"Sleepyhead" by Passion Pit (2008)

This is one of the more extreme examples I could think of, but I could have easily used Arcade Fire or some other recent indie band I haven't heard of because I probably wouldn't listen to more than two of their songs because their vocals grate on my nerves. However, the saving grace of "Sleepyhead" is the beat and harmonies. You can almost ignore the ridiculous wailing.




Questions to ponder:
1. Why don't they just buy a capo?

1 comment:

  1. Capos: keeping lazy people from having to learn new chords since, well, whenever it was they were invented.

    ReplyDelete