6/01/2012

50 Favorite Romances: 6 - 10

Also check out numbers 1-5.

6. Gone With the Wind (1939)

You should be kissed and often and by someone who knows how.
I feel like I'm under obligation to put this on the list. I adore GWTW the novel (Civil War romance, duh), but I'm a little lukewarm about the epic movie--except with Rhett Bulter (Clark Gable) comes around to spice thing up with Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh). His sleazy smile and pragmatic business sense are rather fabulous, especially when compared to the milquetoast Ashley Wilkes (Lesley Howard).

7. Two for the Road (1967)

-What kind of people just sit in a restaurant and don't say one word to each other?
-Married people?
Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney ooze chemistry from their first meeting to their bitter fighting days to their tacit acceptance of their marriage. Add a little nonlinear plot and a Henry Mancini soundtrack, and I can't resist the charm and tragedy of this film.

8. While You Were Sleeping (1995)

I got Ice Capades! I know a guy.
While You Were Sleeping is classic in my mind. Sandra Bullock was never more adorable than when swathed in oversized sweaters, and Bill Pullman never quite recaptured his floppy-haired charm in later years. Exaggerated plot contrivances involving comas and amnesia aside, the film is a great stage for an ensemble of amusing supporting characters. Also, I can't resist a good Christmas movie.

9. The Princess Bride (1987)

There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.
This movie is perfection. While the romance of Wesley and Buttercup are the linchpin of the story, everything else is what makes it worthwhile. I was going to list out my favorite parts and characters, but that would end in an entire plot summary. Suffice it to say, this is the least annoying self-aware fairytale I've ever seen. It embraces its cheese and puts a Mandy Patinkin cherry on top (go with it).

10. Philadelphia Story (1940)

I thought all writers drank to excess and beat their wives. You know one time I secretly wanted to be a writer.
I don't have much of a taste for Kathrine Hepburn. I do however have a strong taste for comic Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart acting drunk, and comedies of remarriage. There's something cozy about watching two people who know each other very well fall back in love with each other after learning life lessons, all with whip smart dialogue.

4 comments:

  1. So many movies I need to re-watch!

    I've never heard a better description of Ashley Wilkes than milquetoast. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't have much of a taste for Kathrine Hepburn."

    Offensive statement, but I am enjoying the dénouement of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I've just seen too many of Kathrine's terrible/mediocre movies. I admit it's a weakness.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Princess Bride's romance was only strengthened by Peter Falk and Fred Savage's meta-commentary from the audience perspective: "Ugh, get past the mushy stuff" "Shut up, this is important and you're going to like it!"

    ReplyDelete