2/09/2011

Medley of the Day: Statutory rape edition

Sometimes, lyricists don't obsess about a specific age (like 16 or 17), but address the underage (and/or infantilized) female populace in broader terms. The late '60s seemed to be breeding ground for this kind of magical pop music that both preys on and fears female sexuality. It's surprisingly catchy!

"Young Girl" by Gary Puckett & the Union Gap (1968)

Choice lines: "You better run girl", "You led me to believe/you're old enough to give me love/and now it hurts to know the truth", "That come-on look is in your eyes"

Moral: Always check ID's.



"Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon" by Neil Diamond (1967)

Choice lines: "Don't let them make up your mind", "Girl, you'll be a woman soon/soon, you'll need a man"

Moral: Young women really need an older man to look after them and to shape and limit their world view.



"Little Girl" by Syndicate of Sound (1966)

Choice lines: "You didn't do nothin' that hadn't been done before", "You got nothin' to hide and everybody knows it's true"

Moral: Just to be clear, I'm calling you a slut.



"Run for Your Life" by The Beatles (1965)

Choice lines:"Well I'd rather see you dead, little girl than to be with another man", "Baby, I'm determined/And I'd rather see you dead"

Moral: The patriarchy has control over your sexual choices.

1 comment:

  1. Disturbingly true. Moral: I shouldn't like these songs, but I do. Side note: Have you ever read Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs? If not, get a copy. An hour-an-a-half of music-inspired laughter awaits you.

    ReplyDelete