2/04/2008

My Hopes for Super Tuesday

I want my president to be eloquent and inspiring. I don't want to be embarrassed every time he/she opens his/her mouth. I want to be proud about my country. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Being president probably hasn't been as a big of a disappointment since Herbert Hoover. People are desperate for a strong leader they can get behind, and I think it's time the presidency is legitimate again.

No one can dispute the political exhaustion of America these days. 24-hour news personally makes me sick as it hashes and rehashes every detail of politics. Debates are reduced to buzz words and catch phrases. Party lines are defined by abortion, gay rights, and war while other issues are ignored.

How do we open dialog in politics? It's notoriously combative, and maybe that's the way it should be, but I can't help respecting someone who wants to talk openly and honestly about issues facing America. That's why I love Barack Obama. His speeches are inspiring, his writing well thought out and thorough. I want a president who sounds smart, and I feel like Obama is someone who I would be honored to call my president.

I want someone smart in office, no matter what party they're on. I'm an independent voter because I honestly can't say one side is better or defines me more than another. A recent article by Stanley Fish disputed my very existence. Sure, our political system is driven by a party system, but what it really comes down to is that I can't stomach a lot of the partisan disagreements. I'm convinced answers come somewhere in the middle. I'm cynical about government and can only get excited about politics if someone shows a glimmer of humanity and idealism.

Honestly, I'd rather have a president dream big than stick to the status quo. I want someone to get America thinking, debating, and coming up with solutions. I want a president who tries. We need a new FDR to restore hope and I think that Obama could be that man.

1 comment:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly on all points (this is Jenni Ball, by the way). Yeah, I don't agree with some of Obama's politics, but everything I disagree with is just the standard partisan stuff that always gets in the way (abortion, gay marriage). I'd rather have someone eloquent, open-minded and educated that we can be proud of. That, and he's not Hillary. Or Romney. :)

    ReplyDelete