1. This is like Grey's Anatomy before Grey's Anatomay, but with people that might be interesting. It's still too early to tell. There's an awkward marriage break-up, a crazy wife in a mental institution (Jane Eyre gothic much?), experimental procedures. And this is only the first season. I can't wait for more! (I think I'm serious about that exclamation point)
2. Hector Elizondo as Dr. Phillip Watters vs. Miguel Ferrer as Dr. Garret Macy. In a low-talking, gruff boss-off who would win?
Hector in Chicago Hope (Also, Mark Harmon with an eye patch? Wait, he's on this show?):
Miguel in Crossing Jordan:
I'm going to say I prefer the resonance of Miguel Ferrer's voice more.
3. I adore Adam Arkin. I love him as Dr. Shutt on Chicago Hope or as Adam on Northern Exposure or as Stanley Keyworth on The West Wing. Something about his fronted consonants is just so absolutely endearing even when he's hostile.
4. Mandy Patinkin as Dr. Geiger. [ed note: Totally not fired, he just left the show a few seasons in to spend time with his family]. I enjoy him and his motown singing in surgery. Actually, the singing in surgery is most of what I remember about the reruns of this show.
Angrily tossing around a ball in Season 1 Episode 4 "You Gotta Have a Heart," proving he can be as brilliant and caustic as Toby or House. Geiger even has the requisite screwed up love life.
5. That's really all I have to say for now, but it looks like 342987045 actors that I'm familiar with were on this show, but it's never really talked about. I'm just excited for Mark Harmon.